Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Rose

Picture painted by my daughter.
Last night RJ was not doing so well.  He was upset and didn’t even know why.  He just has nights like that.  (Actually it is happening a lot lately.)  It’s just part of autism. (I probably need to look at what he is eating too.) I was trying to get him ready for bed and he didn’t want me near him.  He was upset and wanted to be left alone.  I told him that was fine, that I would just tuck him in bed.  He didn’t want to say his prayers, so I told him I would say one for him.  I knelt down by his bed and began to pray for him.  I was impressed to ask that RJ would know and feel how much we love him and the joy he brings into our lives. 

Afterwards, he turned to me and in a frustrated voice said, “Mom, I don’t bring joy to your life.”  I tried to reassure him that he did, but he was not convinced.  Then a thought popped into my head.

I asked him, “Do you think a rose is beautiful?”

He answered, “Yes”

“Do they bring a lot of joy and beauty to people?”

“Yes.”

“Do a lot of people like them?”

“Yes.”

“Do you know what a rose has?  A rose has thorns.  Those thorns can sometimes hurt.  But that doesn’t make the rose any less beautiful.  I love the rose and it’s beauty.  It brings me joy.  You are like that rose.  You may have a few thorns, but your rose is absolutely beautiful and brings me much joy.  I would not want to get rid of your beautiful rose just because of a few thorns.  I would be lost without the joy you bring into my life.  Everyone has a few thorns on them.  That’s ok.  We are all learning.  Your rose is beautiful.  I want you to know that deep in your heart.”

For once that night, he relaxed and even smiled.  I think he understood it too, . . . and so did I.  Again, I am so grateful for the spirit that can teach in ways beyond my own.  I am grateful for the lesson taught last night to both him and to me.

I think I am going to go and buy a rose plant for both of us as a visual reminder of the beautiful lesson the spirit taught us.

No comments:

Post a Comment