Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Treasure is in the Eye of the Beholder.


Several years ago, my neighbor was moving and gave me a suitcase set. It was in great condition but it has sat in my basement collecting dust for quite a while now. The other day, I took it out and was checking it over to see if I should try and sell it. There was a lock on the zipper of the suitcase, but I quickly found the key in one of the pockets. However, the suitcase that fit inside the big suitcase also had a lock, but I could not find the key for this one. I checked all the pockets, in any crack or other place that could possibly house the key. Nothing. In my search though, I realized that there was something in the suitcase. We poked and prodded trying to figure out what kind of treasure would be in it. Finally, curiosity got the better of us and we decided to cut the lock. After a half hour of cutting and sawing and anything else we could think of that might work, we broke through. The kids all gathered around to see what was inside. I opened it and found the large bubble wrapping inside, and a sack of packing peanuts. The kids were elated. For the next half hour, they were jumping, popping and playing with that bubble wrap until every single bubble was popped. (I didn’t let them touch the packing peanuts. I have no desire for that kind of mess.) We truly did find a treasure, at least in the kids eyes.

And the key - it was inside the suitcase, pinned to the tag.






No comments:

Post a Comment