Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Scripture Power

It has been almost a year since my first son decided on his own to start personally reading the Book of Mormon. With this last October Ensign focusing on the Book of Mormon, I wanted to add my testimony as to the power of this amazing book. My son was diagnosed with Aspergers Autism. He had a very hard time seeing other peoples emotions, controlling anger, or even feeling sympathetic to others. I could not have him be in another room with other kids and think it was safe for me to leave. His temper would flare at anything and someone always wound up being hurt. Every day he would say, “This is the worst day ever!!!”

We took him to many doctors who would prescribe stuff that wouldn’t help. After many tries, we finally got him on some herbs that helped a TON. After several months of taking the herbs, he was a good 70-75% better. And he seemed to remain there. But his temper would still fly at times; and realizing others needs was something I didn’t think would come about for a long time.

After reading the passage in our family scripture study about Ammon and his brothers and how they knew their scriptures and had the spirit with them, my son decided to try it for himself. The change was not immediate. But looking back over the past year, it is absolutely substantial. He now is the first one to run and grab an ice pack when someone gets hurt. He will make something for someone else when they are having a bad day to help them feel better. He will play with his brothers and sisters so much more now. He is so much happier. His desire to do good has shot through the roof. He is amazing.

He has improved in areas and in an amount of time that no herb, doctor, or therapist could have done or even predicted. Yes he still has bad days. If he hasn’t had enough to eat, its not good. If he hasn’t had enough sleep, life is miserable. If he is outside of his comfort zone, he struggles. But even then, he has learned how to deal with it better than he used to. Now when he has a bad day, he doesn’t say he is having the “worst day ever,” he just says he is not having a very good day. There is a light in his eyes I didn’t think would ever be there. There is an understanding inside him I didn’t know he could achieve. I KNOW it is through the reading of these scriptures that this has taken place. In his studies he would read something, ask me questions about it, think about for a day or two, and then I would start noticing a small change that would gradually grow. It has been amazing to see the transformation. There is a power within these scriptures that is more powerful than we can ever imagine. I testify of this and I have seen its power first hand. I am so grateful for The Book of Mormon. I don’t know where I would be without that inspired book.

No comments:

Post a Comment